Sunday, September 4, 2011

Carrot Spice Muffins with a Twist

Okay so I used the same basic base to the Cheddar Apple muffins to make my next creation.
Apparently I need to do some shopping because I am out of eggs and realized it half way through...Awesome! but I improvised. I really didn't know what flavor of muffin I was going to make to start out with, and really didn't have  a lot to work with, but that is the kind of baking I love. So for the apples I subbed in pureed carrot. The same consistency of caned pumpkin. Then when I realized I didn't have any eggs. I looked up replacments. apparently any pureed fruit does the trick. the carrots probably would have been enough, but my wheels got turning, and I decided to throw in 4 tbsp's of tomato soup just to be on the safe side. DON"T BE AFRAID!!! tomato soup is used in cookies and muffin recipes all the time, and tastes awesome in this combination. So there you have it. I absolutely love this base and with continue to try new flavors. Just as fast as Dan can eat them. LOL. I will not tell him there is tomato soup in them. LOL


3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup ground flax
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
3 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp ginger
1 tsp cloves
1 1/2 cups pureed carrot
4 heaping tbsp canned tomato soup
1 3/4 cup butter milk
1/2 cup butter melted
1 1/2 cups golden raisins
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
1 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Combine flour, sugar,flax, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger in large bowl. Mix  in a medium sized bowl buttermilk, tomato soup, pureed carrot and stir in butter. Add all at once to flour mixture.Add raisins, walnuts and coconut. Stir just until moistened. Fill greased muffin tins. Bake for 25- 30 minutes. Makes one pan of muffin loaf tins, or 18 regular-sized muffins.



Recipe by Michelle Stevens



No comments:

Post a Comment